The PM and Treasurer released a joint media release on Wed 28.7.2021, stating “increased financial support for hundreds of thousands of workers in New South Wales will be available from next week as part of the Commonwealth Government’s expanded national COVID-19 Disaster Payment”.
See below for further details.
Matters set out in the media release are as follows:
- eligible workers will receive $750 per week if they lose 20 hours or more of work, while those that lose between 8 and less than 20 hours, or a full day of work, will receive a payment of $450 per week;
- the new national payment rate will commence for payments processed week commencing 2 August and will be automatically updated for those already in the Services Australia system;
- it will be available from Day 1 of any potential lockdown in the future, with claims made from Day 8 in arrears for the previous 7 days. A weekly payment will then be made for the duration of the hotspot declaration;
- there will be no liquid assets test applied to eligibility for these payments and an individual does not need to run down personal annual leave;
- individuals who currently receive an income support payment will receive a weekly payment of $200, in addition to their existing payment, if they can demonstrate they have lost more than 8 hours of work and meet the other eligibility requirements for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment.
More information about the COVID-19 Disaster Payment can be found on the Services Australia website. It is set out on a State-by-State basis, ie currently NSW, Victoria and South Australia.